Saturday, May 7, 2016

Ivy League Leads The Way For Safer Football

As a former high school and college football player who has always loved the game, as well as being a science-based thinker, I have been sensitive to the issue of safety in football.  In recent years, I have been vocal about two sports issues:  safety in football; the culture of sports.

I am a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania, an Ivy League school.  From my experience with the Ivy League, I developed not only an understanding of excellent academics but an appreciation of how the ideals of sports can be actualized.  Although the Ivy League fields Division I teams in many sports, they do not give purely athletic scholarships and have many unique rules to avoid overemphasizing sports.  Now, the Ivy League is taking the lead in making football safer.  In the process, I hope it considers two of my recommendations for further safety of the game without compromising its excitement:  no use of the head in making contact;  only making contact to the opponent on the body between the shoulders and hips.

Ivy League Eliminates Tackling From Football Practice
- - -

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels


Click on image

Choose how you look at reality wisely. Yes, it is a binary choice.

Choose how you look at reality wisely. Yes, it is a binary choice.
Click on image