Sunday, June 24, 2018

A Response To A Catholic Apologist

As a former Devout Catholic, periodically I enjoy dialoguing with Catholic apologists. Following is a post from one and my response.

The Blog Post: "What does it mean to be 'human'"


thomraff
Very nice analysis of animals and humans as animals. Your last question about souls was interesting. I would ask you how do you know that there IS a soul in humans.



Hey, Thom. Great to hear from you again. And thanks for the kind words.

As for your question, I’m currently in the final stages on book #3, which will focus on what is the soul, the mind and personality? More specifically, how has that concept changed for Jews and Christians over the past several thousand years as we took ideas from the cultures around us: the Babylonians, Egyptians, Zoroastrians, Greeks, and then more recently from science. Ready by Christmas?

The truth is, I don’t “know” that we have a soul. Not in the scientific sense at least. But I believe we do. I guess that belief ultimately stems from the belief that the universe has meaning. Given the choice between that and Richard Dawkin’s belief that “there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but pitiless indifference,” it just feels better. I guess I relate better to a different arm-chair philosopher: the Wachosky brothers’ Cypher speaking on the fundamental reality of his juicy steak (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5y68ErffgM).

All kidding aside, though, there’s much in life that we just assume and take for granted. For me, this is one.

thomraff
Thanks for your response, Luke. I think that you summed up the difference between you and me, as well as most theists and atheists. You go beyond what we know in a scientific sense and add subjective feelings and desires to your belief system. I stop at, “I don’t know.” Your system some would call magical thinking. My system is science-based thinking. We both are comfortable with our systems presently. I was functioning under your system for most of my life (I am presently 73 years old). I don’t think the quality of my life has suffered and, in fact, looking objectively at reality has given me eyes that I didn’t have before. I presently enjoy a clearer view of pseudoscience (“false knowledge”) in many forms all around me.

Peace to you.
Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels


Click on image

Choose how you look at reality wisely. Yes, it is a binary choice.

Choose how you look at reality wisely. Yes, it is a binary choice.
Click on image