Thursday, June 2, 2016

Does Being Kind Mean One Should Not Present The Truth?

I just returned from proctoring End-Of-Year Tests at my granddaughters' elementary school.  Plastered everywhere in the school was this quote:  “When given the choice between being right and being kind, choose kind.” - Dr. Wayne Dyer

I have volunteered several times at the school and, as I have seen this saying repetitively, my discomfort with it grows.  First of all, it assumes that the person presenting factual and truthful information is personally attacking the person holding erroneous views.  While, indeed, such may occurs at times, it is the assumption inherent in the quote that it is usual that troubles me.  I prefer this quote:  "In engagement with one holding false belief, attack the idea not the person." - Tom Rafferty.  I try to do this, and most other science-based thinkers who I know do the same.  In other words, one can certainly present and defend the truth while being kind.  In fact, the world would be a better place if more people would do so.

5 comments:

  1. I think you are right. That quote rubs me the wrong way too. Being right and being kind are not mutually exclusive. In fact, I'd argue that helping someone who is wrong correct their views is an important form of kindness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jack, BTW, the Principle at the school got back to me after I sent him this post. He "Loved it." This is only his second year at the school, and I have been impressed with him. In his response, he also mentioned that many of his family members are also "science geeks." LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, he said that he is in the process of tracing down how this got proliferated.

    ReplyDelete

Labels


Click on image

Choose how you look at reality wisely. Yes, it is a binary choice.

Choose how you look at reality wisely. Yes, it is a binary choice.
Click on image